To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area
2 Execution site(s)
Volodymyr O., born in 1929, was requisitioned to transport the remains of Jews to the cemetery: « I know that some Jews were shot in the ravine at the moment of the German’s withdrawal. Others were burned alive. It happened at the end of the occupation, after a work day at the railway station they weren’t brought back to the ghetto, but they were taken to the house which used to belong to Rodion Kovaliov. He had been evacuated by that time. So, the Jews were locked up in the building and burned alive. One Jew, named Gershko, managed to survive because he was separated from the column and came back by himself from the forced labor workday. Everyone thought that he was a little bit « Mischlinge »…And the following day, he came to see us and that is how we knew that all the Jews had been burned alive in that house. Later, when the Soviets arrived they requisitioned local people to transport the remains. I was also requisitioned. I can tell you that it was an awful scene.” (Witness n°2061, interviewed in Balta, on May 25, 2016)
“On August 7, 1941, under the pretext of forced labor, about a hundred Jewish men were gathered at the building now housing the executive committee. On the night from 7th to 8th of August, 80 of them were shot.
In the winter of 1943, the Germans, accompanied by Romanians, brought Jews from Nikoyaev to Balta for forced labor, but on their way they were murdered. About a hundred corpses were brought to the railway station of Balta. From the railway station, we had to transport the corpses on wagons to the cemetery.
In the same year, in the autumn of 1943, the Germans, along with Romanians, took the Jews from the ghetto to the fields for the construction of a landing site where about 50 people were shot.
At the moment of the withdrawal of the Germans and Romanian occupants, a pogrom was organized […], they rounded-up the Jews in the streets, in their houses and shot them dead on the spot. Between the 26th and 28th of March 1944, about 300 (the number is partially illegible, translator’s note) people were murdered. On March 28th, 1944, the Germans, helped by the Romanians, assembled about 40 (the number is partially illegible, translator’s note) to take them to the railway station for forced labor work. Later, they were confined in the premises close to the farm. After having poured gas over it, it was set on fire with the Jews alive inside. None survived. Among the victims there were two young girls aged 15-16 years. [Deposition of a requisitioned local man, Dinelsha R., born in 1874 in Balta, made on October 11, 1944 to the State soviet extraordinary commission; RG 22.002M. Fond 7021, Opis 6, Delo 84]
Balta, founded in 1500s, is a town located 225km north of Odessa. The first Jewish community was recorded in the 16th century, living on both sides of the town divided under Turkey and Poland. In the mid of 17th century, the town was taken and put under the rule of the Russian empire. The town was an important trade center. The majority of Jews were involved in trade of grain and agriculture products. There were flour mills and a liquor distillery which belonged to the Jews. Other Jews lived off handcrafts; there were many shoemakers, tailors, and other artisans who were united in cooperatives. There was a Jewish cemetery, a synagogue built in 1905, and two Yiddish schools. Under the Soviet rule, many religious institutions were shut down and cooperatives were transformed in kolkhozes. The Jewish community suffered from several pogroms (1768, 1882, 1905, 1919). Their houses and shops were looted and destroyed and several hundreds of Jews were killed which significantly decreased the Jewish population. Many of the Jews fled to the nearest bigger city, f.e. Odessa. Thus, the Jewish population, which numbered 13,234 in 1897 comprising 57% of the total population, had decreased to 9,116 by 1926 (39.6%) and on the eve of the war there were less than 18% of Jews living in the town (4,711 Jews). Balta was occupied by the Germans in early August 1941.
The Jewish population was exterminated during several aktions which started from the very beginning of the occupation and lasted till the Germans’ withdrawal. On August 7, 1941, about 140-200 Jews were first gathered in the building of the tribunal and after, during the night, they were taken to the forced labor but on their way, on August 8th, they were all shot close to the road leading in the direction of the village Kozatskoye.
Starting from September, Balta was occupied by Romanians as it was incorporated in the zone called Transnistria. By this time all the remaining Jews, along with the Jews deported from Bukovina and Bessarabia, were confined in the ghetto. According to different sources, the Jews numbered from 1500 to 3700. According to a local witness interviewed by Yahad, there were two entries to the ghetto, located on Synivaksa and Tkatchenko Street. They weren’t guarded. Life inside the ghetto was managed by a local Jewish administration. The Jews fit to work were subjected to forced labor, in particular the specialists.
In the fall of 1943, about 50 Jews were taken to work on the construction of the airfield, but they were shot dead on the spot.
During 26-28 March, 1944, the Germans and Romanians shot dead about 300 Jews in the streets. During one of the last executions, carried out on March 28, 1944, 48 Jews were burned alive in the house where they were confined on their way from the forced labor.
All the aktions were conducted by Germans and Romanians.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17