Cherikov | Mogilev

/ Nice landscape  © Aleksey Kasyanov – Yahad-In Unum Typical house in Cherikov © Aleksey Kasyanov – Yahad-In Unum Catholic church © Aleksey Kasyanov – Yahad-In Unum During the interview © Aleksey Kasyanov – Yahad-In Unum

To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area

Execution of Jews in Cherikov

1 Execution site(s)

Kind of place before :
Peat-bog
Memorials :
Yes
Period of occupation:
1941-1944

Witness interview

Olga V. recalls: “The column passed near our house. It was before lunch. The Jews wore summer clothes, it wasn’t cold yet. They were escorted by armed policemen in uniforms. The Jews weren’t arranged, they were in a crowd. They walked slowly. The shooting took place near a grinder. The Jewish houses were plundered by the neighbors”. (Witness N°658, interviewed in Cherikov, on June 24, 2013).

Soviet archives

“In the district of Cherikov, the German monsters tortured to death, shot or hanged 1118 people. According to testimonies and documents, 465 people were shot, 653 were deported to forced labor camps. The German monsters applied a very inhuman method to exterminate the Soviet population of Cherikov.” [Deposition of Maria Vasilievna K., 19.12.1944; RG22.022M/ 7021-88/49].

Historical note

Cherikov is located 77 kilometers from Mogilev. According to the 1939 census, 949 Jews were living in Cherikov. The Jews were merchants and there was a Jewish school in the village. German armed forces occupied the town on July 17, 1941

Holocaust by bullets in figures

 In August 1941, the first Aktion was carried out in the town. A detachment of Sonderkommando 7b shot a group of Jews. According to different sources, the German security forces and the local police gathered the Jews in a club in late October or early November 1941 in the town to inform them that we would be resettled. The Jews were then escorted on foot to a site about 1 kilometer north of the town near the mill, where a ditch had been prepared. Two Germans shot the Jews in the ditch in small groups. Six local Belarusians were ordered to fill in the ditch afterwards. According to the Soviet Extraordinary State Commission report, the mass shooting took place on November 7, 1941. It was perpetrated by a detachment of Einsatzkommando 9 conducted by units of Security Division 221. Einsatzgruppe B reported later in December that 786 Jews of both sexes had been shot in Cherikov and Klimovichi.

Nearby villages

Other links

Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?

Please contact us at contact@yahadinunum.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17