Dvariūkai | Šiauliai

A Lithuanian Jewish family driving a horse-drawn wagon © U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum courtesy of Dr. Saul Issroff View of the outdoor market in Linkuva, in 1935 © U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum courtesy of Dr. Saul Issroff View of the outdoor market in Linkuva, in 1935 © U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum courtesy of Dr. Saul Issroff Lithuanian Jews watch a group of men paving a residential street in Linkuva © U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum courtesy of Dr. Saul Issroff Lithuanian Jews in front of the post office in Linkuva © U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum courtesy of Dr. Saul Issroff Jewish synagogue in Linkuva © http://www.yadvashem.org/ The building of a Jewish synagogue in Linkuva © http://www.zydai.lt / A yard © Markel Redondo - Yahad-In Unum Yahad-In Unum’s research team during the interview © Markel Redondo - Yahad-In Unum Ona S., born in 1933 © Markel Redondo - Yahad-In Unum The monument for the Jewish victims © Markel Redondo - Yahad-In Unum

To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area

Execution of Jews from Linkuva in Dvariūkai

1 Execution site(s)

Kind of place before :
Field
Memorials :
Yes
Period of occupation:
1941-1944

Witness interview

Ona S. recalls: "They were walking on foot. 4 partisans guarded them. At first they were locked in a barn in Linkuva. Then they were brought here for the shooting.
Y.U.: Were those guarding the Jews walking on foot too?
Ona S.: Yes, they were all walking on foot. At first there were 4 partisans. Later some Germans arrived by car. They took some pictures.
Y.U.: When exactly did those Germans arrive?
Ona S.: The Jews were here already. The Germans arrived when the shooting had already started. They took some photos." (Eyewitness N°31, interviewed in Dvariūkai, on December 03, 2013)

Historical note

The village of Dvariūkai was a part of Linkuva region. Most of the Jews of Linkuva earned their living from commerce, small industry, agriculture, or crafts. There were 16 Jewish farmers in the area. 14 of them lived in Dvariūkai.

Holocaust by bullets in figures

In 1940, with the annexation of Lithuania to the USSR, all the town’s factories and stores, mainly owned by Jews, were nationalized. On June 23, 1941, after the Soviet withdrawal from Lithuania hundreds of Jews escaping eastward from Šiauliai and the neighboring towns found refuge in Linkuva and remained there. Most of the town’s Jews were forcibly held in stables and warehouses, where they were brutally attacked. In the summer of 1941, 200 Jewish men were killed near the village of Dvariūkai. The victims came from Linkuva, along with Jewish refugees who had fled to the village.

Holocaust Atlas of Lithuania

Nearby villages

Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?

Please contact us at contact@yahadinunum.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17