To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area
1 Execution site(s)
Praskovya P. : "Most of the Jews were shot into the peat-bog; then, the villagers buried the bodies in lime pits. The Police came to our home requisition my father. There were about ten people conscripted for this task." (Eyewitness N° 107, interviewed in Klimovo, on October 29, 2010)
"As soon as the men had been shot, all the women, children and the elderly were gathered in the police building. Once there, the white strips were sewn in front and on the back of their clothes which marked that they were Jews. The women were subjected to force labor. After, around February 1942, the Jews were gathered in a building and watched by constantly. In late February 1942, they were forced to undress till underwear and were taken outskirts of the town [illegible]. Nobody was allowed to come closer. They were shot in the pits dug in advance." [Deposition of Ivan B., native to Klimovo, born in 1911; RG-22.002M/7021-19/5]
Klimovo is located 170 kilometers (106 miles) southwest of Briansk. The 1939 census recorded that the Jewish population was 224, or 4 percent of the total. German army attacked Klimovo on August 25, 1941. During that time a half of Jewish population fled on the East and men joined the army.
On August 29, 1941 the first Aktion was carried out by Sonderkommando 7b. During this action 27 Jews accused of being Bolshevist agents were shot. In October, 1941, a ghetto was created and it was liquidated in March, 1942. During the liquidation about 280 Jews were executed by German security forces. They were shot in a peat quarry, about 1 km away from Klimovo. Afterwards isolated shootings took place till the German withdrawal in September, 1943.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at email@example.com
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17