1 Execution site(s)
Nadezhda L., born in 1935, remebers the looting of Jewish belongings : “After the shooting of the Jews, inhabitants entered Jewish houses to take sheets and pillows. Some were shot for it. I did not witness that but everybody talked about that.” Witness N°759, interviewed in Kostyukhi, on May 19, 2014)
“When the Germans occupied Lyuban, in 1941, they took the civilians of Lyuban into the forest and shot them. The shootings took place every day, in the daytime and at night. The forest is 500m east of the village of Kostiouki. It was a forest mostly of pine trees; it was cut away in 1942 and at the location of the graves, there are now bushes.” [Act of the Soviet Extraordinary State Commission; RG-22.002M.7021-81]
Lyuban is a village situated 150 km southwest of Minsk. In Lyuban, in 1939 before the war, there were more than 1,000 Jews living there. There was one synagogue and one cemetery. The village was under German occupation from 1941 to 1944.
On August 2, 1941, one month after Germans’ arrival, a selection was conducted and between 150 and 200 Jewish men from Lyuban were killed in a gravel pit near the village of Dubniki.
In September 1941, a ghetto surrounded with barbed wire was created in the west part of the village of Lyuban, near Pervomayiskayia Street. It was guarded by Germans and local policemen. According to eyewitnesses interviewed by Yahad, adult Jews were forced to work, cleaning or repairing roads. On November 8, 1941, 50 Jewish men were shot, as a reprisal action after a partisan attack. On December 4, 1941, the ghetto was liquidated by an SS detachment from Glusk. Jews were escorted on foot in a column, and shot in pits near the Machine Tractor Station (MTS).
For more infomation about the execution in Dubniki please check the corresponding village’s profile.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at email@example.com
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17