To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area
1 Execution site(s)
"In the column there were entire families, the women carried the babies in their arms, held the teenagers by the hand, and walked arm-in-arm with the elderly and the sick who were mercilessly pushed by the German soldiers and the local policemen.“ [Deposition of Aleksey B. for the Soviet Extraordinary State Commission, RG-22.002M.7021-91]
Lyubcha is a village situated 50 km east of Grodno. Before WWII, approximately 1500 Jews lived in Lubcha. There were 2 synagogues and a Jewish cemetery. The German forces occupied the village at the end of June 1941.
A short time after their arrival, the Germans selected 50 Jewish men and brought them to Novogrudok, where they were shot. At the end of 1941, the Jews were relocated into approximately 30 houses, located near the synagogues, which functioned as an open ghetto. Groups of Jews were sometimes sent to nearby properties for forced labor, for example to complete agricultural work. Some of them were also sent to the nearby forced labor camp of Dvorzhets. In March 1942, the ghetto was fenced in and Jews from surroundings villages, like Delatyche, were brought into the ghetto. Later, three members of the Judenrat and Jewish police were shot by the Germans under the pretext of bad hygienic conditions inside the ghetto. Though the fate of the remaining Jews is not completely clear, it seems that a group was sent to the Novogrudok ghetto, where they were later shot in August 1942. Another group was sent to complete road construction near the village of Vorobyeviche, where they were also shot in August 1942. It appears that several hundred Jews were also shot and buried in the cemetery during spring 1942.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17