Shchuchin (Scucyn, Szczuczyn) | Grodno

Shchuchin before the war    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Pictures and old documents displayed by a witness © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum / Ambiance in Shchuchin  © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Former Jewish cemetery in Shchuchin    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Yevgueniy K. recounted that Jews were forbidden from walking in the streets.    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Nina L. recalled that there were Jewish families when she joined the Partisans    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Vladimir G. stated that he had to move as his house was inside the ghetto.    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Yahad team conducting an interview    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum Yahad team conducting an interview on the site of the mass shooting of Jews from Shchuchin, which is now on a former Soviet military airfield    © Rousslan Dion - Yahad-In Unum

To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area

Execution of Jews in Shchuchin

2 Execution site(s)

Kind of place before :
Forest
Memorials :
Yes
Period of occupation:
1941-1944

Witness interview

Vladimir G., born in 1927, remebers: "Just before the shootings, the people were taken near the graves, which had already been dug. The Rabbi went first and asked the people to stay calm because it was their destiny." (Witness N°348 interviewed in Shchuchin, on November 10, 2010)

Soviet archives

"At the end of April, a group of the war prisoners, civilians and women were transferred to Camp 521 in Chtchoutchine. In this camp, 98 prisoners, 40 civilians and 128 women were confined. All the inmates had to work: they repaired shoes and clothes for the German army. The war prisoners were taken to perform other labor, in the city and on the highways." [Act of the Soviet Extraordinary State Commission, RG 22.002 7021-81/15]

German archives

"There was an aktion in Shchuchin and Vasilisski on May 6 and 7. At this time, 5,000 Jews were killed." [Testimony of Wilne Churban, B162-3408]

Historical note

Shchuchin is a city 60 kilometers east of Grodno. In 1939, out of a population of 5300, there were 3000 Jews. The city was famous for its market, which brought together the Jews from all of the districts. There were 2 synagogues and 2 Jewish cemeteries. The city was under German occupation from 1941 to 1944.

Holocaust by bullets in figures

On June 27– 28, 1941, between 300 and 400 Jews were killed by local Polish residents during a pogrom that occurred during a power vacuum. On July 14, 97 Jewish men were also shot by local Polish police. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad In-Unum, hangings were also regularly organized in the city square.

In August, a fenced ghetto was established on Krzywa Street. In the following days, almost 600 Jews were shot in the Jewish cemetery. When the ghetto was liquidated in 1942, nearly 2000 Jews were killed near a forest close to the city. Ievgueni K. witnessed the shooting with his binoculars, hidden in the forest. He said that the Jews had to undress close to the pit, and then put their clothes in different piles, according the type of clothing.

Today, this site is situated on the territory of a former and abandoned Soviet strategic bomber base.

Jewishgen

Nearby villages

Other links

Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?

Please contact us at contact@yahadinunum.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17