To access full (non-subtitled) videos of witness testimony for a village, please visit the Registered users area
1 Execution site(s)
Olga Zh.: "The Jews were told they were going to go to Germany to work. The elderly were taken to the cemetery and shot on-site, while the Germans and the police watched. They were shooting with machine guns." (Witness N°379 interviewed in November, 2010)
Volpa is a city located 28 kilometers north of Volkovysk. It is estimated that the Jewish population stood at 1000 to 1500 before the war. In the 17th century, the community built a wooden synagogue that became famous for its original beauty. The wooden synagogue was well known. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad In-Unum, films were sometimes organized and projected inside the synagogue. There was also a Jewish school. The city was under German occupation from 1941 to 1944.
An open ghetto was established in a quater of the village soon after the Germans’ arrival. On November 1, 1942, all of the Jews had to gather at the market square for resettlement to a labor camp. According to Alina B., the local priest attended the scene. The Germans selected 34 to 60 of the very elderly and infirm, supposedly because an old-age home was to be established for them in Volpa. The remaining Jews had to march to Volkovysk on foot. After the Jews had departed,
the Germans executed the Jews in a pit, dug in advance close to the Jewish cemetery. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad In-Unum, these Jews were transported by local inhabitants, who were requisitioned with their carts. It appears that these Jews were killed by local policemen. On December 2, 1942, the other Jews were sent to the Treblinka extermination camp, where they were all gassed on arrival.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at email@example.com
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17