Borshchi | Odesa

Execution of Jews in Borshchi

1 Execution site(s)

Kind of place before :
Shell hole close to the camp
Memorials :
No
Period of occupation:
1941-1944
Number of victims :
About 240

Witness interview

Yevguenia P., born in 1929, describes the camp where she brought food to the detainees: “All the Jews were assembled in the field, close to the kolkhoz. There were not only local Jews, but also the Jews brought from the nearby villages. The Jews remained under the open sky. There was a fence made of barbed wire, about 2m high. The camp was guarded by Romanians. There was one entry with a hut where the Romanians stayed. It was forbidden to bring food to the Jews, but we still managed to do it. We gave them what we had, but we never waited for them to give something in exchange. We just helped them because they were human beings and there were many children among them. Many of them died every day and their corpses were thrown into the shell holes close to the camp. There were many of them left after the bombing. At the beginning, they didn’t even cover the pit, but afterwards, when the birds and dogs started to dig up the remains, the pits were filled in. ” (Witness n°2059, interviewed in Borshchi, on May 24, 2016)

Soviet archives

After questioning the local population in the village of Borshchi, the commission was able to establish that between August 1941 till spring 1942, a transit camp was created on the area of the stables to the kolkhoz garden where the Soviet citizens were detained. After interrogating the local villagers, the commission opened the pits and exhumed the corpses of men, women and children. In all, there were about 240 corpses of Soviet citizens who were either shot or died from hunger and abuse. The corpses were thrown pell-mell into the pits, the skulls were found close to the lower extremity bones and ribs.” [Act n°45 of the State commission drawn up on July 8, 1944; RG 22.002M, Fond 7021, Opis 6, Delo 74(?)]

Historical note

Borshchi is a village, known as Gotary before 1750, located 200km northwest of Odessa. According to the local witnesses, there were no Jews living in the village before the war. Borshchi was occupied by the Germans in early August 1941 and starting in September, it became part of Transnistria. 

Holocaust by bullets in figures

Shortly after the occupation, a transit camp was established in Borshchi and existed from August 1941 till spring 1942. It was located on the territory of the field, close to the stables and the garden, which belonged to the kolkhoz. According to the local witnesses who brought the food to the detainees, the camp was fenced in with barbed wire that was 2m high and was guarded by Romanians. The inmates stayed under the open sky. There was an entry with a guard hut for the Romanians. Due to the terrible living conditions and lack of food, several dozen inmates died every day. Their corpses were buried in the shell holes close to the camp. 

Nearby villages

To support the work of Yahad-in Unum please consider making a donation

Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?

Please contact us at contact@yahadinunum.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17