1 Execution site(s)
Yelena S. : "The Jews were taken in wagons from Ostrino to the river. The Germans gathered the Jews from several villages in the public square. There were men, women and children." (Witness N°341 interviewed in November 2010)
Ostrino is a small city 50 km east of Grodno. In 1921, its population of 1572 included 1067 Jews. The city was under German occupation from 1941 to 1944. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad In-Unum, the majority of Jews lived in the center. There was a synagogue for men and one for women, a Jewish cemetery, and a Jewish school.
An open ghetto was established in October 1941. It was located near the market square between Grodno, Novy Dvor, Vilnius, and Cerkiew Streets. There were also Jews from others villages, including Vassilichki or Dembrovo. According to witnesses interviewed by Yahad In-Unum, it was possible to acquire the labor of a specialist worker within the ghetto, such as a seamstress. The locals had to make a request for that type of work. Shortly after October 12, 1941, about 80 Jews from the ghetto were executed at the Jewish cemetery. In Ostrino, there were frequent, isolated shootings of Jews, also in the Jewish cemetery, as mentioned by Ievdokim B., interviewed by Yahad-In Unum. At the end of October 1942, the ghetto was liquidated and the Jews transported to a transit camp in Kolbassino, south of Grodno. Before leaving, they were gathered in the central square. Some of them brought gold, according to eyewitnesses. Initially jailed in the Kolbassino camp for about a month, with about 22000 to 28000 Jews from nearby communities, the Ostrino Jews were sent to the Auschwitz extermination camp at the end of November 1942. Bodies at the Jewish cemetery were exhumed a few years ago during the construction of a gas pipe.
Do you have additional information regarding a village that you would like to share with Yahad ?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling Yahad – In Unum at +33 (0) 1 53 20 13 17